Tuesday, May 29, 2012

my own shade of blue



So I spent the long weekend on the tip of the Bahamas in West End.

The lesson I learned is this...

Everything always looks more intimidating from the surface.

The ocean is a good one...try being on top of it in the middle of it, on a boat about to jump in.  From the surface it looks like a deep blue.  A scary blue, one that a crayon would not be named after.  An, "oh shit" blue.  An "I am not going in there" blue.

Then I dove in.

The color, the scenery was breathtaking.  A beautiful shade of "this is heaven" blue.  Breathing in through my snorkel and being pulled through the water at 7 knots behind a boat on a ski rope created a darth vader sound that made me feel..well..like I was no longer on the dark side of the ocean.  I was in it.  Submerged in my fear. Swimming in a sea of something I don't trust.  Literally.   But I was in their territory. At peace with them.  Breathing. Being.

Nurse shark.....Breathe....Barracuda.....Breathe...swim with them....respect the space you share with them....

They live there. And they are watching you watch them.

It made me want to come back for more. I was a speck in this ocean and there was so much more to discover.

It's a reflection of me that's deeper than the surface.

It deserves my trust.