Sunday, October 28, 2012

same event, different me

Taking out Halloween decorations at the beginning of the month inspired this thought....

I felt like I was was (well....I was) opening up a time capsule from a year ago in my life.  I payed attention to the way I carefully wrapped everything in newspaper so that when I opened everything up again it would be preserved.  

Strangely, I felt like I was talking to my old self. My newer self appreciated that my old self had gone through the care of anticipating the future - that I was in fact going to be opening up this stuff again next year. I also empathized with how I must have felt putting it all away after the holiday, feeling a little sad like something was ending, and recognizing how excited it was to open the same container,

with all the old, sad newspaper-wrapped decorations

waiting there for me to revisit the same cycle all over again -

one year older, wiser, happier

and so much more present,

aware.