Sunday, September 13, 2015

the science behind being scared...





Last week we flew to Iceland, rented a camper, bought a map and started driving.
Unlike anything I've ever done,
but for some reason the old fear of what could happen was replaced
but the peaceful sensation of what was happening.
I can say that I embraced fear unfolding 
and no longer anticipated it's 'arrival'.

One particular night on this trip,
we got caught in a bad wind and rain storm 
that shook the camper and nearly blinded our view of the road.
Streaming through the sound system
was a pod cast I recorded by one of my all-time favorite role models -

Laird Hamilton.

He talked about how fear is absolutely necessary for our survival.
How apropos!
Here is the narration from the part that resonated with me the most:

"People should scare themselves every day-
the world would be a better place.
It brings you into the present,
it's connected into evolution,
it's a mandatory emotion that we've had for thousands of years.
Without it we would not have survived.
It gives us power but also appreciation...
Whenever anyone gets scared,
they go right into 'I love you, I miss you'....
so I think it feeds into all these emotions that are getting suppressed.
I think that we're suppressing our instincts
because we don't need the instincts to survive anymore
like we did in the past..
But they're essential in our spiritual and emotional makeup
and that's connected to our physical...
the relationship between physical and mental 
is harmonious. 
And sometimes we're not connected to that...
but you know if you're physically not feeling good,
you're mentally not feeling good,
and that's part of that connection to...
'Am I going to survive?'
And then it triggers all these things in your mind
and makes it more realistic -
you're more honest with where you are....
that we are fragile, 
that it can happen in one second
and we need to be reminded of that on a regular basis
in order to keep our attitudes right...
about who we are, 
what we are...
it would make the world a better place
if we were more in touch with that 
in the civilized world."

Thanks, buddy :)

~L