Thursday, September 27, 2012

hello other side of me

Yesterday I met my competitive self for the first time.

My first qualifying workout for an upcoming Cross Fit competition had my stomach in knots, every neuron in my body firing and my teeth tingling.  I kept telling myself this is 'normal' pre-competition jitters. But it wasn't until half way into the workout that the adrenaline rush took the place of the nausea that was with me for days prior.

As always, the anticipation of the actual event proved far worse than the event itself. 

In hindsight, I'm proud of myself for how I did.  I was scared to dead-lift 135 lbs once.  Lo and behold - I picked that shit up 37 times! Although this wasn't anticipated to be one of my stronger qualifiers, I was happy to take 7th place at my gym location out of 17 girls in my category - and even more happy that I sustained no injuries.  In fact, my back feels quite good.

I feel quite good. No one else judges me but myself.  And I gotta sleep next to me each night.

When was the last time you were truly nervous about something, but in a way that made you feel so human - so alive?