Thursday, July 4, 2013

u-nit-ed; adjective

"What's the hardest part about being in a group?
The hardest part is constantly considering someone else -
even before yourself."
~Q-tip, A Tribe Called Quest

I heard this the other night as I watched the documentary
Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest

And I thought:

Being a part of a 'group' is a conscious choice, an act, a responsibility.
But feeling like you belong to something bigger than you is a whole new freedom...
interesting.....belong to feel free.

I don't remember a time when I didn't feel a part of something bigger.
First, a part of a family.
Then, a part of creating one.
Being a parent means that even when your kids aren't next to you,
you're still no longer just one.

This invisible extension - the feeling of belonging,
is always turned on.

So today, Independence Day,
may be the birth of the free nation that I was born into,
but it's also the group I don't have to try to be a part of.
It's the one holiday that can't be argued by religion,
doesn't revolve around gift-giving,
and one that I share with some 300+ million others as a feeling.

u-nit-ed
/yoo'nitid'/
adjective: joined together politically, for a common purpose, or by common feelings.