Monday, March 10, 2014

take care of your parts

This past weekend was the 35th anniversary of my birth, 
and quite honestly it was the best one yet.

I couldn't ignore, however, the fact that the whole weekend
something else was also on my mind - 
being at a friend's funeral last month.
It would mark the anniversary of her death.

Her perception of her world - her mind - took her own life.
And I thought,
wow, the power of the mind.
It really IS the operating system of the human body.
You could feed this operating system all the good thoughts, 
love and stimulation to keep it going - and it will. 
It keeps going even if it's jaded by another.
Unless it's sick.

And the heart.
It pumps blood through your veins 
even when you don't feel like you can move one more inch.
It keeps going even when you give up.  
Even when it's wounded by another.
You could feed it all the love and healthy food and exercise in the world and it 
wouldn't stop beating.
Unless it's sick.

Whether you have a sick heart, foot, lungs, brain, blood,
or whether any of these things feel heavy inside,

take care of these parts that can't live without each other.
The parts are not you. 
You are the parts.
It's up to you.
Assess what you can change and what
someone else can help you change.
Accept what you can't.
Let people love you.
Love them back.

I came into the world on the 9th day of March in 1979.
It was a Friday.
I'm sure someone also broke their foot that day, 
was hurt by another, 
passed away in their sleep,
got married,
got divorced.

Every day that I celebrate I also try 
to remember what else is going on in this world around me.

I'm aware.

I try to overcome as best I can, and if I can't,
I know that at least I love with all my heart.

In celebration, in honor and in memory 
of all,
in sickness and in health,

~ L ~