Wednesday, December 12, 2012

lightning struck me

I don't like surprises.

So when that no-name flash-flood-of-a-storm sprung upon us last night, I was a little upset with it for sneaking up on me.  That's not to say that I didn't admire its light display, or welcome the chance to snuggle with the kids in the dark.

But why, Self, do you feel the need to always be prepared - ready for - something in advance? 

What if you just let life happen upon you, ready or not?

Why not let go of fear? Fear is the cause of every problem.

Michael A. Singer, author of my new favorite book, The Untethered Soul ((given to me by my mother-in-law)), brings up a very important point on this issue:

"Ultimately, if you protect yourself perfectly, you will never grow......you will never be free.....If you learn to remain centered with the smaller things, you will see that you can also remain centered with the bigger things.  Over time, you will find that you can even remain centered with the really big things.  The types of events that would have destroyed you in the past can come and go, leaving you centered and peaceful.....and then, ultimately, even if terrible things happen, you should be able to live without emotional scars and impressions."

(excerpt from Ch. 7, Transcending the tendency to close)

I don't want to bear especially the smallest of burdens and, essentially, I want to live every day like it's a new surprise.


~ L ~