Friday, February 3, 2012

Give your doubts another chance...

Just when I begin to question the decency of mankind in general, bits of kindness and  goodness shed light on why you should not be so quick to doubt.

This is what happened at a family dinner tonight, as I suggested that each of the 12 adults at the table take turns saying what they think are the best qualities of the birthday boy, a tradition my brother started with me last year.  Initially I was annoyed with my own suggestion as the words spilled out of my mouth as words often do. The first person to speak made a joke at the situation and I thought shit here we go. But down the line it was like you were watching human emotion evolve over the course of 12 people in 12 minutes as if it were 12 ice ages of change. Creativity, sensitivity and poignant emotion spread like wildfires. 'We appreciate you,' 'It's not just about money with you,' 'Thank you for loving our mother,' and the end result were tears, and one more tap on the shoulder that reminded me of the good in human spirit....going to bed tonight with a little more faith in people.