Monday, February 6, 2012

Running on empty


I started training for my second half-marathon last week.  The distance between me and myself two years ago is closer to something like the distance from here to the moon.

There is something about putting on those shoes, those running shoes, standing on the pavement, alone, and saying to yourself... Go!

------>  No one is there to push you.  
No music pumps you. <-----
 No machine propels you. 

For all those steps you're alone in your thoughts and you're heart is pumping, your legs grabbing and pushing, your abs fighting against gravity to keep you from falling down, your arms swinging in sync with the rhythm you're creating and all the while, while all this is happening, you're mind is as clear as it's ever been.

I never thought I'd still be learning about myself through my runs and all the empty space in between destinations. Eckhart Tolle says we have the most capacity for growth through the empty space that we allow to be.  For me, it's a whole new empty.  It's one I welcome often.

When I put on my running shoes.