Wednesday, February 22, 2012

greetings

I've always been slightly annoyed (and perplexed) by the popular greeting in America "How are you?" It's a trick question.  The person really doesn't want to know the whole truth which would take more than the two seconds they'll give you of their attention and the "I'm great!" response is mostly full of shit.  Yet we probably ask this question at least ten times a day.  I know I do it myself and quite frankly I would rather just say "hello" and leave it at that, except for I find that if you don't ask the shallow "how are you" then you're borderline rude.  


So imagine my smile when someone greeted me this morning with this:

"Good morning.  Are you ready for a new day?"

Yes!   Yes, I am.

A sincere question with an emphatically sincere answer.

It was the breath of fresh air that I needed.