Saturday, February 4, 2012

Hope

There is something very profound about empowering a child to help another child.  I felt a duty to help my daughter reach out to another little girl whom we've never met.  We've heard her story and knew we had to do something somehow. 

She is 3. 
And she has cancer.  

Her story as her mother narrates in her blog is one of strength and sadness and hope and every other emotion you can think of.  It hits close to home, as I am also a mother of a 3-year-old boy. My daughter,  Ella, 7,  made posters, collected money, and, as this picture shows, stood guard outside our gate, hoping to lure in customers.  

And carrying over from the theme of yesterday's post, I am reminded of the good in our race. Strangers were willing to help out strangers to help a stranger.  

This, to me, is even more powerful than the $266 we will give to Roxie, who is inspiring beautiful things in this world already.