Sunday, February 26, 2012

ugh. parenting

Guilt has got to be one of the top 5 worst emotions in my book. And yet I am beginning to wonder if it's an inevitable byproduct of motherhood when you've got to let the role of disciplinarian take over all the 'fun' roles of being a mom. 

Lately, each night I go to sleep I vow to wake up and not be so hard on my 7-year-old and the drama. She takes the drama-bomb and throws it at me. It explodes 

BAM! I DON'T WANT TO WEAR THIS! I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR! I HATE MY CLOTHES! I DON'T CARE IF WE'RE LATE TO SCHOOL! I AM HAVING THE WORST DAY EVER! 

Instead of wiping her tears I find myself intolerable of this behavior and mad because of it and the vicious cycle of showing who's boss takes over where sympathy left off.  I get mad and then more mad when I realize how mad I already am before 7am. On the way to school I'm mad and when my daughter gets out of the car for school, my 3-year-old asks me if I'm happy now.  

             And then, I'm sad.  

And I want to do the morning all over again. Why did I let this take over me? Why did I yell? Am I neglecting her emotional needs in trying to curb the drama? Maybe the bomb is not about blowing me up. Maybe it's not about me at all.  

Wake up, L